Send Topic Print
Hurricane Ike ~ (Read 4239 times)
Mandi
Super Bear

Texas
Hurricane Ike ~
Sep 12th, 2008 at 10:34am

Hey everybody!

It has been soooo long since I've been here.  I'm sorry.  I feel like I fell of the planet or something.  Lots of stuff going on.   I hope everybody is doing well.  I do miss all of you very much.   Embarrassed

Hurricane Ike is heading my way.  We are close to Houston.  An hour and a half away from Galveston.  My mom, step dad and their 3 dogs are staying with us.  So we now have 5 indoor dogs and it's crazy.  My mom and step dad also brought colds with them.  And they NEVER wash their hands.  I'm such a germ freak ~ so this is freaking me out.  I'm not happy about it.  They live right on the Gulf of Mexico.  So they may end up losing their house.   That doesn't mean that they will stay with us longer.  My mom said they would rent an apt. until they found another house.  So that's good.  I was going to have to work today.  I work at a bank.  But my manager just called and said I didn't have to come in today.  But I might have to tomorrow.  WHAT?!!  Tomorrow morning at 1am, the hurricane is supposed to hit here.  And they want me to go to a bank to work ~ when all of our customers will be at home or evacuated?!!  That's plain crazy to even plan it.  Even our mall is closed.  Everything is closed.  Other banks value their employees enough to keep them safe ~ and they are closed.  I'm upset about the possibility.  I am quitting on Monday though.  I hate my job.  It's too stressful and I don't get paid enough.  I will work for my husband in October.  I hate quitting though.  I hate to disappoint people.  They just finished training me.  Now they will have to start all over again.  But that's not my concern. 

My beloved mother in law passed away two weeks ago.  I miss her so much.  She meant everything to me.  I hate living the rest of my life without her.  But I have to.  I'm glad she didn't have to suffer too long though.  She died of lung cancer.  And she only lasted about a month and a half.  She wasn't in that much pain.  So it was a good thing.

I guess that's about all that's going on with me.  I will probably lose electricity tomorrow from the hurricane.  They said it could be out for a week or two.  We have a generator.  So we will have some electricity with that.  I'll let you know how it all goes when I can get back on the computer. 

Big hugs,
Mandi

At some point, you have to make a decision.Boundaries don't keep other people out.They fence you in.Life is messy.That's how we're made.So,you can waste your lives drawing lines.Or you can live your l

IP Logged

ciaro
Care Bear

Bearing through it!

Re: Hurricane Ike ~
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 3:09pm

Mandi,
Its reallly good to see you here. But oh my goodness, do you have a lot going on.  Just reading your post, I was exhausted and anxious for you.  If you can, every so often, just stop for a moment and let out a breath. 
I will send you all the safe healing energy that I can muster, to help keep you safe from hurricane Ike and sane from five dogs and your family.  Phew!!!
I'm really glad that amid all the activity, you were able to find time enough for yourself to share with us.  I hope it helped a little.  We'll understand if we don't see you here for a while with the electricity etc.  But know you are in my thoughts and I will be silently hoping you are safe.
As for work:-  At the end of the day, you need to make a decision that is right for you.  Businesses just move on. None of us are invincible.  If this feels like the right decision for you, well, trust your judgement.   I wish you luck with it. 
Will you have to work much notice...!
Remember to be especially gentle with yourself over the next few days and weeks. 

Take care
ciaro

I am always more than my struggles

IP Logged

Mandi
Super Bear

Texas
Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 10:31pm

Thanks Ciaro!  I am just now getting back to updating after the hurricane.  The hurricane was very scary when it hit at 4am.  We could hear the wind and rain blowing hard.  We could hear things hitting the roof of the house ~ like big branches and stuff.   We were out of power until Tuesday.  But we had a generator and our fridge and fans were hooked up to it.  It was fine.  My mom and step dad were challenging.  They were sick ~ and I am a germ freak.  So I just hated them coughing all over the place without even covering their mouths.  My mom is just gross.  And my step dad is inappropriate.  I struggle with being around him.  They left on Monday morning.  We were lucky ~ we just had one big tree fall in the backyard.  And it didn't hit the house.  There was a lot of damage in our area.  Lots of my neighbors actually had trees go through their roofs.  The kids were out of school for a week because they didn't have electricity.  Some of my friends STILL don't have electricity two weeks later.  It's been crazy around here. I'm just glad that things are getting back to normal slowly.  My husband was so cranky because he couldn't work or do anything basically.  He barely puts up with my mom.  It's hard for all of us.   

If anybody has a Facebook account ~ let me know and I'll add you as a friend.  I have my hurricane pics on my profile.  I don't have time to download them here yet because I'm going to bed in a minute.  I hope everybody is doing OK.  I keep you all in my hearts everyday.

Big hugs,
Mandi

At some point, you have to make a decision.Boundaries don't keep other people out.They fence you in.Life is messy.That's how we're made.So,you can waste your lives drawing lines.Or you can live your l

IP Logged

revenna
Super Bear

Kansas
Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 12:48pm

Mandi,

First of all, let me say how glad I am that you're safe!  It must have been terribly frightening to live through a hurricane.  We had a hard time getting much news about it here.  The newscasters gave the impression that only Galveston was hit.  I sent you an email, but I must have written before you had power and/or internet access.

Secondly, I'm sorry your mother-in-law passed away.  I'm glad she didn't have to suffer very long.  Both my biological parents died of lung cancer.  It is a terrible disease.

Thanks for letting us know you are okay.  You have been in my thoughts.

Rev

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Bearing Through It HomePage