Bearing Through It

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
some sad news and wonederful memories (Read 5762 times)
ciaro
Care Bear

Bearing through it!

some sad news and wonederful memories
May 14th, 2008 at 2:52pm

Well the sad news is my dog of almost thirteen years died three weeks ago.  I am broken hearted and miss him so much. the house seems so empty without him. 
But you know over the past few weeks I am struck over and over by what this big black gentle giant brought to my life. 
It is so simple, I loved him and he loved me - unconditionally!!
That is an amazing experience. 
During my darkest days and in the depths of my depression, when I was out of work and literally just staring at the walls, he had to be walked.  he would wait, lying on the mat head flat on the ground, waiting with eyes upturned staring at me, willing me to move. Eventually he'd get the better of me and I'd move and he'd dance and out we'd go.  then we'd both sleep, until he wanted to be fed, then the pestering would start, pacing, nudging me with his nose, and up we'd get again and I'd feed him and eat something myself while I was up.  Later he'd come over for a pet (and to clean his nose off me). You know he was just always there. He loved to walk on hte beach.  He'd run up the dunes then charge down and straight into the water. 
I could go on forever with the wonderful memories he brought and the times we shared together.
So yes I am sad at the loss of him and the void where he used to fill, but mostly I am grateful he was always there. 
He definitely deserves a mention in the happiness and healing section. 
I will miss him

I am always more than my struggles

IP Logged

lostsoul
Super Bear

Bearing through it!

NV
Re: some sad news and wonederful memories
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2008 at 12:49am

Ciaro,

I am extremely sorry for your loss! I have a dog and know when his time comes it will be difficult for me too. I know you have posted numerous times how your dog has been there for you.  I know another dog will not fill the void you are feeling right now but perhaps you should consider looking into another dog soon.  Your dog was such a confident to you that perhaps another one will at least fill the total emptiness.

Thinking of you and feeling your pain,
Kate

IP Logged

revenna
Super Bear

Kansas
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2008 at 12:45pm

Ciaro,

I'm so sorry for your loss!  The pain must be unbearable.  My dog is 10 now and I am dreading the day we have to say good-bye.  She has become such an important part of my life.  I can relate to everything you've said.  Sometimes on the days when I am in tears, my dog will look me right in the eye and it's as if she knows and understands.  I know that's a strange thing to say.  But it's as if she has a 6th sense about life that we humans often fail to grasp.  I don't mean to give her too much power, though.  Right now she is outside barking up a storm, annoying the whole neighborhood!  So I've got to go get her and haul her back inside (no small thing with an 80-pound "child"!). 

Ciaro, thank you for sharing this with us.

Rev

IP Logged

sacredheart
Share Bear

Bearing through it!

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2008 at 2:55am

Ciaro~
I am so, so sorry. I am completely attached to my dog ( and cats) and she is getting older (14 years, almost 15) and going downhill too quickly for me. I am just loving her and spending a lot of time with her. They are ALWAYS there for us, aren't they. Like you said, pure unconditional love. I am sorry for your loss and happy that you have such fond memories. You can carry him always in your heart. I hope that you find some comfort during this difficult time. I am sad for you, though, it will be hard sometimes ~that is when the wonderful memories of you and him will carry you through. Bless your heart, I certainly feel for you.
Sacredheart

IP Logged

Tracey
Share Bear

We grow stronger through
our suffering

United Kingdom
Reply #4 - May 17th, 2008 at 3:22pm

Hi there my dear friend,

I'm pleased you have computer access again.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your dear friend - your dog.  I do know what a loss it is as we lost our Polly, aged 12 in January this year.  She did leave us with happy memories and I still miss her.

I took the children to a re-homing centre near us in March - "just to look", and the first dog in the kennels we saw, well I just knew he was the one! He is with us now.  He is called Biscuit and he is a working cocker spaniel around 1 yr old and all golden red.  He is very wary and in a sad state when we got him.  Now, he is showing his true, mischievious colours Smiley

I never thought Polly could be replaced ..... and she can't.  Fate let us to Biscuit and to offer him a new home and life and for him to offer us joy at his steps forward each day with trusting us.  Also, his story of his original owners not being able to care for him and him finding a new "forever family" have helped our adopted daughter understand in reality how coming to a new home can offer support and kindness.

I'm sure another companion is out there for you when you are ready, if your heart desires.

Take care and forever in my thoughts.

Tracey

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

IP Logged

ciaro
Care Bear

Bearing through it!

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2008 at 5:37pm

Hi,
Thank you all for your support and understanding.  It means a lot to me.  Its amazing how many people understand the connection to animals.  They really enrich our lives.  Dogs have always been a part of my life and I couldn't imagine not having a dog.  In fact my pseudo-name stems from a childhood pet.  I used to spell the name wrong as a child, so stuck with it when I joined bti.  It should be cairo  Smiley.
I have no doubt I will get another dog at some point, but for now I'm not ready.  Each time I arrive home I expect to have to battle to get in the door because he was always so excited to see me and my hallway is narrow and there was never enough room to get in and close the door with him in the way. Smiley
Tracey, I remember you saying some time ago your dog was ill.  I am so sorry he died.  I'm sure you still miss him.  Congratulations on biscuit.  I hope you will all be very happy.  Its great your daughter has new understanding through the dog joining the family.
thank you all again. 

ciaro

I am always more than my struggles

IP Logged

Ty
Protector Bear

Eastern Oregon
Reply #6 - May 20th, 2008 at 8:09pm

I am sorry to hear of your great loss Ciaro. It is so hard to lose a pet, as they truly are special 'people' to us. I am so glad  that you have memories you can hold on to that bring warmth to your heart.

Know that I am thinking of you!

Love,
Terra

Bloom where you are planted.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Bearing Through It HomePage