Poorly Dog (Read 7742 times)
Tracey
Share Bear

We grow stronger through
our suffering

United Kingdom
Poorly Dog
Oct 3rd, 2007 at 3:41pm

I realise that I haven't been here lately and feel guilty because I haven't been able to answer all the posts that I would like to spend the time to be able to do so.  Please know that I do read and you are all in my thoughts .... frequently.

I have returned from the vets tonight.  It feels like my second home this past month.  I feared my worst thoughts with my dog and hoped I was simply over-reacting.  It appears not and that the words I didn't want to hear for real were being said to me.  My dog has not been able to keep food down for the last 3 weeks and she is now having tests tomorrow for cancer.  I know she is old for her bread (12 years), but I have had her since 9 weeks old and she has been the steady rock for me through my darkest hours and my lightest ones too.  She has been the consistancy in my life and the thought of her in pain is too much to bear.  I see she is sad and I am too.  I can't say much more right now.

Good night x

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

IP Logged

revenna
Super Bear

Kansas
Re: Poorly Dog
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 7:57pm

Tracey,

I'm so sorry.  I don't know what to say.  I understand why you are so sad.  I have a black lab that I have raised from a puppy and she is getting old.  I love her dearly.  She is a part of me.  I'm glad for all the time you've had with your dog, but I'm sorry that she has been ill these past 3 weeks.  I hope the test results for cancer will be negative.  Please let us know how you and your dog are doing.  We care.

Rev

IP Logged

Ginee
Share Bear

Wisdom is nothing more
than healed pain

Louisiana
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 11:25pm

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. One of the most painful memories I have of my youth- even including abuse- was losing my childhood dog when I was 9. It was more difficult than any human death I've ever experienced. I know that probably sounds awful of me. It's not that I didn't deeply love and miss the people I know that have died. But for some reason I guess I allowed myself to love without fear when it came to my dog. The dog I have now (Riley) is only 10 months old but I love him very much and would probably spend a fortune if he ever got sick. He's so special and although I know some people laugh at this, he really knows when I'm sad and cares. I hope you find peace through this difficult time.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own and you know what you know. And you are the one who'll decide where you go. ~Dr. Seuss

IP Logged

serenity_seeker2007
Baby Bear

Bearing through it!

Dallas, Texas
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 1:31am

Cry

I understand how you feel. I had a little boston terrier and i recently lost her. she was my "bella" i know for me, i felt deeper emotions with my dog and my cat than ever with anyone human. It did seem like my pets knew when i was sad or down. Bella would come up to me and just lay her head upon my knee and look up at me, and it was like nothing i've ever experienced. Awesome and strange at the same time. I know when i would be upset i'd just stroke them over and over and my anxiety left me through that action. They were always waiting for me at the door and were so glad to see me home. No one ever got excited when I came home. I would usually look forward to coming home and being greeted so enthusitically.
It's been proven statistically that people with pets live longer lives and the risks of heart attack and stroke are greatly reduced for those with pets. I believe this to be true. so try not to feel bad. It is understandable how you feel and worry about them like they are our children. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.....
serenity_seeker2007  
IP Logged

lostsoul
Super Bear

Bearing through it!

NV
Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 1:06am

Tracey,

I am so sorry for your pain regarding your dog. You have posted here numerous times how you have gone for walks or referred to your dog many times before. I know this must be quite a difficiult tiem for you. For me, a dog lover too, I would just have to do my best to focus on making certain I did my best to keep my dog out of pain. It's unfair to make them suffer because of our desire to keep them around. Please kep us posted. I am also thankful that you felt connected to us here that you felt comfort in posting your painful message and allowed us to offer words of support for you - as best as we could.

I am thinking of you in this difficult time,
Kate

IP Logged

Mandi
Super Bear

Texas
Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2007 at 10:27pm

Hey Tracey!!

I am so sad for you.  I know how hard it is to say goodbye to a beloved pet.  That's the hardest part of having them.  We love them like they're our kids.  I wish I could make you feel better.  I have a 14 year old dog named Hershey right now.  She is going blind and can't really hear that well.  It makes me sad to think of losing her.  But until then, she is loved.  Take special care of YOU!!  I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Big hugs,
Mandi Smiley

At some point, you have to make a decision.Boundaries don't keep other people out.They fence you in.Life is messy.That's how we're made.So,you can waste your lives drawing lines.Or you can live your l

IP Logged

Tracey
Share Bear

We grow stronger through
our suffering

United Kingdom
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 5:00pm

Polly, our dog was put to sleep in the early hours of Tuesday morning.  It was a haunting end for her and one which I wish could have been avoided.

It's quiet without her.  The house isn't the same.

We are off to buy a white winter flowering shrub this weekend (white because she was a white westie) and we are due to receive her ashes for scattering next week.  We are planning to scatter her ashes around the bush in our back garden.

I received a card from our vet today with a poem, which I'll share.  It brought tears to my eyes (again):

"Remember Me ...."

Remember me ... but do not grieve,
I'm so sorry that I had to leave.
Remember me ... but not with tears,
For now are gone away my pain and tears.
Remember me ... though we are now apart,
As I shall always be there in your heart.

She shall always be there in my heart. My dearest companion who walked with me through the fields when I first started therapy and was falling apart.  I thank her for her companionship x

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

IP Logged

revenna
Super Bear

Kansas
Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 12:58pm

Tracey,

I'm so very, very sorry.  I wish I knew what to say.  I hope your memories of Polly bring peace.  I know this is a very sad time.  I understand the genuine attachment and love one has for animals.  I feel that way about my dog and kittens.  They are family to me.  Thank you for sharing the poem.  How beautiful!  Please know I am thinking of you and your family today.

Rev

IP Logged

lostsoul
Super Bear

Bearing through it!

NV
Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 11:57pm

Tracey,

I'm sorry I haven't been around to offer support through your difficult time.  The loss of a pet is so difficult, especially when they are so much a part of the family. I know Polly was a great friend to you. I am touched by the card your vet sent. How kind.  Please know I hope you and your family are doing well and have been able to get through this difficult time.

Kate

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Bearing Through It HomePage