Bearing Through It

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is anyone else into alternative gardening/farming? (Read 5118 times)
malesurvivor
Share Bear

Grizzlies Rule.

chicagoland, IL., usa
Is anyone else into alternative gardening/farming?
Mar 3rd, 2004 at 4:55pm

I have been getting into alternative farming ( going against the norm of vertically-integrated monoculture currently used in most of the U.S.) and Hydroponics. Is anyone else into these things, too? I'm also interested in the problem of soil erodson (sic?) and the difficulties of home food production.
Anyone ever try a small- scale hydroponic veggie garden at home or office? ( remember Chia-pets? Hydroponics!! lol)

P.S. Since I'm such a grr8 spellr, my non- fiction book of the week (see "things I WILL DO" post) will be a dictionary! heehee.

~~malesurvivor

Sitting, silently, thinking and screaming for freedom from this constant insanity, the endless solitary confinement.&&Yet I walk alone, and survive. &&Always alone, and always surviving.

IP Logged

kjoy
Share Bear

Do only that which honors
the soul.

kentucky
Re: Is anyone else into alternative gardening/farm
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2004 at 5:21pm

Only thing I can remember about hydrophonic planting is a kit I got in High School to grow tomato plants.. I don't remember the results lol... Let us know how you do with your garden. Oh and don't bother with the dictionary, you spell well enough for us to understand you quite well and if you keep stopping to look up words.... you just might lose the train of thought you are on, and I like the way your words flow so effortlessly...'

Take care Matt..

Kathy

KrafTcat59@aol.com  
IP Logged

lily
Care Bear

please be patient with
me...God isn't finished
yet

MI
Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2004 at 5:52pm

um well yeah i guess you could say i've had experience with it, but i kind of kill everything i try to grow.

&&

IP Logged

ginabella
Share Bear

Trying to love myself!

Hackettstown, NJ
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2004 at 6:09pm

Maybe I'm not too bright, but what exactly is hydroponic gardening?  I know part of it has to do with water...is it growing stuff with water and no soil?
Please explain.

-ginabella

With the time, comes the answer;&&With the knowledge comes the end.&&With the conclusion comes the sanity;&&Just a little bit too late.

IP Logged

malesurvivor
Share Bear

Grizzlies Rule.

chicagoland, IL., usa
Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 1:03pm

Ginabella,
It's not that you are not bright, it's that you don't know...no harm in that.
Hydroponics is soiless plant culture. There is water, but also a growth medium to support the roots, usually. this can be sawdust, sand, gravel, rock wool, or whatever.

Sitting, silently, thinking and screaming for freedom from this constant insanity, the endless solitary confinement.&&Yet I walk alone, and survive. &&Always alone, and always surviving.

IP Logged

ginabella
Share Bear

Trying to love myself!

Hackettstown, NJ
Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 9:18pm

Oh i get it!...Hence the chia pet reference.........
-ginabella

With the time, comes the answer;&&With the knowledge comes the end.&&With the conclusion comes the sanity;&&Just a little bit too late.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Bearing Through It HomePage