I spoke last night (Read 4515 times)
Cheryl
Share Bear

Buckle up and Hang on!

Massachusetts
I spoke last night
Feb 25th, 2004 at 1:04pm

Hi everyone,

Last night on my A.A. commitment I spoke.  This was only my second time speaking on a group commitment.  I have spoken at shelters but it's much more quieter and intimate, less nerve wracking.  I was pretty terrified but you know what?  I did it.  I have been working on no longer having to be afraid of speaking out or worrying what others think or will say.  It's paying off.

Also one of my dearest friends was chairing the meeting.  I knew she was going to call on me because she started talking about a friend she made through the program, someone she can count on, someone who has been there for her.  I knew she was talking about me since we have become very close friends and I started to get really nervous but at the same time I felt really blessed to have someone like her in my life.  We are definiately alike and have both been through abuse and alcohol abuse.

Anyway, I wanted to share with you all.  I don't think other people would understand what I'm feeling about this but I know you all will.

~ Cheryl

IP Logged

kjoy
Share Bear

Do only that which honors
the soul.

kentucky
Re: I spoke last night
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 4:05pm

Great Job Cheryl,

Speaking in public is a fear of mine that I still cannot overcome.. Way to go girl!!!

Kathy

KrafTcat59@aol.com  
IP Logged

tinygirlchild
Share Bear

I Corinthians 13

florida
Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 8:41pm

good for you, cheryl!  i know it must have been tough . . . but . . . you did it!!  congrats!!

ticia

Work like you don't need the money. &&Love like you've never been hurt. &&Dance like nobody's watching. &&Sing like nobody's listening. &&Live like it's Heaven on Earth. &&&&Anonymous&&
stardancer383  
IP Logged

ginabella
Share Bear

Trying to love myself!

Hackettstown, NJ
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 10:32pm

Cheryl,

Great news!!!  I'm so proud of you!  I have never spoke more than 5 words at my Al-Anon meetings!  Truthfully, I haven't even gone to a meeting in quite some time (oops!).  I do follow my recovery book alot and my daily meditations.  I really should get a sponser but I get so shy around people I don't know!  The meetings I used to go to were ALL women which made it super comfortable for me.  But I can't attend that one anymore cuz I work nights.
The whole public speaking thing is a tuffy for me.  I was never good at that.  I'm so envious!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Anyway, you just keep up the good work!

-much love and luck
-ginabella

With the time, comes the answer;&&With the knowledge comes the end.&&With the conclusion comes the sanity;&&Just a little bit too late.

IP Logged

nomore
Care Bear

Bearing through it!

MA
Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 10:22am

Hi, Cheryl,
Thanks for posting this message.  I'm new here, and it helped me to be more comfortable.  When I first joined AA, I couldn't express myself at all (not surprising where I came from).  Getting up at the podium was SO hard to do.  I'm the kid who used to want to crawl under a table and disappear.  Getting up there & overcoming that felt incredible (even if my legs felt like they'd give out).  Last year I was able to give a presentation for work to a room full of people, thanks to AA.  It has saved my life.  I'm glad to know you're here.  I once attended a meeting with about six women, and five of us had been sexually abused.  God really sends us what we need, exactly when we need it -- even though I think he's Too Slow most of the time.

Nomore (Janet)

ljmcmljmcm  
IP Logged

Robin033
Share Bear

Bearing through it!

Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 7:07pm

Congrats, Cheryl!!  I've very proud of you, you've definately come along way in your journey compared to about a year ago. 

((HUGS)) to you!!

Robin

IP Logged

lily
Care Bear

please be patient with
me...God isn't finished
yet

MI
Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2004 at 6:20pm

Cheryl,

You are so much further than I am.  I still get nervous sharing praises in my church.   Great for you!!

Here with and for you,

Lily

&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Bearing Through It HomePage